Head of People and Culture
The Newsette is looking for a Head of People and Culture to support and grow our team as we scale. While this position is based in New York City, all employees are working remotely until further notice.
We’re a next gen media company and creative agency that empowers, motivates, and informs women every morning. Our mission is to make women across the globe feel more powerful every single day with engaging and digestible content. We’re working on some first-of-their-kind projects with the world's biggest brands that are going to surprise and delight a bunch of people. And that’s where you come in.
About this job:
As the first "People" hire, this role requires someone who is self-motivated and comfortable hiring, growing and empowering a wide range of talent in addition to building processes and programs. You will balance analytics and empathy and be equally comfortable working with data and connecting with team members 1 on 1.
You will work closely with the founder and the executive leadership team to support The Newsette’s vision & mission by building The Newsette employment brand, delivering an outstanding employee experience, and curating an exceptional company culture.
You should be interested in innovation—we’re not looking to imitate another company’s HR system. You will make ambitious moves using data-driven approaches to test, learn, and continuously improve the experience of our team. You will create programs that keep our team on track, support a diverse and engaged team, and cultivate a culture our company is proud to embrace.
- Source, discover, screen and hire for various roles at The Newsette; recruiting top talent will be the first and most important priority for this position as we double our existing headcount over the coming year
- Create programs to grow and develop our team in ways that are inclusive, engaging, empowering, and creative
- Partner with managers and the leadership team to identify short, medium, and long-term growth needs in order to build and deliver on plans for hiring, including creating job descriptions and expectations
- Own the onboarding experience so that each new team member feels supported and empowered from day one
- Support managers in creating development plans and growth opportunities for their teams
- Manage our payroll and benefits administration, while developing and managing benefit, compensation and commission programs that are market-driven, compelling to candidates, promote pay equality, and meet the needs and expectations of our team
- Lead our bi-annual performance reviews and our annual merit and bonus process
- Solicit feedback from team members on a regular basis and maintain a pulse on the team’s feelings and needs
- Design and lead our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and help create a culture where everyone feels welcomed and valued
- Spearhead trainings and programs that promote these goals and provide mechanisms for employees to share needs and concerns
- Leverage technology to automate systems and processes, reduce costs, and create efficiencies across the People function
- Provide insightful, data-driven reporting to the leadership team that allows partners to make informed decisions based on a full understanding of The Newsette culture and employee and business needs
- Stay up to date with HR-related legal guidelines. Ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- 5+ years of proven experience in HR or People & Culture team, with 2+ years experience at an early-stage startup or digital media company (or similar)
- Strong working experience in all People Operations functional areas including onboarding, training and development, employee relations, performance management, compensation, and benefits
- A deep understanding of how to run a high-quality, full-cycle recruiting process
- A desire to hire the best — constantly working toward company goals with a strong sense of urgency
- Passion for people development, with the ability to translate your passion into programs that build employee engagement and develop employees at all levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to manage employee communications and relations, conflict management, team-building and coaching, and the ability to guide people through change
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to make decisions like a founder: you quickly develop a strong sense of a company’s culture and values and use those as your north star in decision-making while adding perspective and leadership beyond functional responsibility
- Ability to inspire a culture of innovation, execution, collaboration, accountability, positivity, and fun
- Embody the highest ethical standards, integrity, credibility, and character
- Collaborative and positive team in a work environment that will keep you challenged
- Health insurance plan
- 401(k) plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Unlimited photos requests of Leo the Poodle, our Chief Happiness Officer
Your application has been successfully submitted.