Director of People
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
You will bring your enthusiasm and passion for Toptal to each interaction you have with new and existing team members.
As a Director of People, you will join the team responsible for maximizing the impact of Toptal’s core team members. This position will partner with a series of Toptal’s executives and business leaders, and evaluate business scenarios through a People/HR lens. In addition, the Director of People will be willing and able to roll up their sleeves and apply People/HR best practices and focus on engaging, coaching, and mentoring Toptal’s core team members.
Your natural ability to stay organized, actively listen, have strong communication skills, maintain confidential information and use excellent judgment is essential for this role. The variety of tasks and projects will vary daily and no day will be the same in this role. We need a team member who will jump in, build relationships with business leaders, take initiative to solve problems and deliver value/drive results to the organization as a whole, while also developing programs that bring engagement and fun across our fully remote workforce.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work closely with the Chief People Officer, People Operations team, business leadership, and individuals across the company. This position will be responsible for supporting and coaching the core team members at all levels within the company through professional (and sometimes personal) challenges. You will focus on developing new engagement initiatives and the maintenance of existing engagement-specific programs to ensure that the Toptal workforce is being heard, engaged at Toptal in their roles, and feel supported throughout the entire lifecycle.
- Support the development, and launch of new initiatives, examples may include but not limited to: engagement, wellness, recognition, coaching, as well as other initiatives that will have maximum impact on both our US and international core team members.
- Provide compensation guidance in alignment with Toptal’s pay-for-performance culture and support the compensation planning process.
- Assist managers and employees in resolving employee relations issues.
- Manage regulatory compliance, including directing HR functions of the company in accordance with both applicable federal/state regulations and policies and Toptal practices.
- Understand, interpret, and appropriately apply employment regulations, effectively implementing updates to maintain compliant policies.
- Coach managers and core team members on the interpretation and application of People-focused policies and procedures.
- Support People Team initiatives by completing all steps, including research through a launch that will have a long-term impact on the Toptal team.
- Work closely with assigned business functions, functional leaders, and core team members to partner to solve people-centric problems and communicate new functional initiatives.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your strategic business partners.
- Effectively use data and analytics to evolve and inform the direction of all HR programs.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Work with the People team to begin to understand the people processes.
- Divide up the functional groups & begin to handle support-related tasks.
- Explore the current tools and resources and understand how they are currently used.
In the first month, expect to:
- Deep dive into the structure, processes, and ongoing initiatives of the People team.
- Begin to handle day-to-day requests and process them independently.
- Begin working on projects with smaller problem scopes designed to both deliver impact and train you on effective problem-solving process and style at Toptal.
- Begin regular check-ins with team members.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Continue to develop relationships across the organization.
- Confidently handle day-to-day requests independently.
- Update current processes and collaborate on new initiatives.
- Begin executing on initiatives, measuring the impact of all initiatives, iterating quickly, and driving real value across the organization.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Reflect on your observations since you started and identify where there are additional areas for improvement.
- Continue to fine-tune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be viewed as a Toptal Ambassador.
- Continue to strategize and implement new scalable improvements as the organization grows.
- Be viewed as a trusted resource throughout the organization.
- 7+ years of directly applicable People/HR experience working with cross-functional global technical teams, preferably in a tech start-up environment.
- Previous experience working remotely and collaborating with remote global teams.
- Expertise with Human Resource Management Systems and a love of working with data.
- Strong leadership and group facilitation skills and an aptitude for connecting with team members located all over the world with a variety of different backgrounds and core talents.
- Significant experience with People/HR management in a high-paced, data-driven, hypergrowth technology work environment, including strong familiarity with best practices.
- Proven capability in coaching managers on various People/HR functional areas with specific experience coaching leaders on performance management.
- Ability to recognize trends within the company and design systematic, goal-oriented People initiatives. *Exceptional history of effectively leading complex, cross-functional initiatives in fast-paced environments.
- Strong experience building culture at rapidly growing organizations.
- Ability to build and scale initiatives in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Excellent knowledge of employment law (both U.S. and globally).
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional drive, including the ability to set the vision and proactively pursue it while being relentlessly resourceful.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Your application has been successfully submitted.