Director of International People Operations
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and mental health organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
LGBTQ youth suicide is a global public health crisis, and we estimate that more than 40 million LGBTQ youth seriously consider suicide each year globally. This position is a part of a multi-year plan to offer our crisis services across various global communities. LGBTQ youth in crisis deserve affirmation and acceptance regardless of where they live, and we are committed to doing everything in our power to help end this crisis.
Overview of the role
Based remotely anywhere in the United States, the Director of International People Operations is a new position that is responsible for ensuring the success of the people operations function within each country outside of the US to support The Trevor Project’s international growth and life-saving work. This position will lead teams to build replicable, customizable, international people operations systems and practices within countries outside of the US while remaining aligned/compatible with the current values and practices of Trevor. The Director will also build and implement strategies to maintain and continuously improve systems, employee engagement, development, and retention of a diverse staff of exceptional people through inclusive practices. Managing Directors of People Operations within each country outside of the US, and partnering closely with stakeholders across the organization (i.e. Trevor Global People Operations staff and the Recruitment team) as well as with stakeholders in countries outside of the US, the Director will provide direction to ensure a positive employee experience and efficient and effective people strategies to accomplish The Trevor Project’s broader strategic goals.
Who you are
- People person. You love working with people and know how to excite them about our life-saving work. You have the ability to cultivate relationships. You understand that people are the core of who we are and place a premium on customer service
- Resourceful: You utilize tools and resources to investigate the localization of HR operations
- Entrepreneurial. You have a track record of successfully and strategically building impactful people operations initiatives. You’re ready to roll up your sleeves, support and lead as needed, and implement best practices and continually innovate to get the job done
- Action-oriented. You set ambitious actionable goals and plans and take deliberate steps to achieve results
- Clear communicator. You can communicate clearly and constructively. You can communicate across cultures and can bridge lines of difference.
- Highly organized. You know how to manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of the organization
- Role model and leader. You are a dedicated mentor and compassionate leader for your staff and colleagues alike. You have experience managing people and tasks (including remotely) and can inspire others to do their best work
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities
- Culturally competent: You have experience working with a wide range of subject matter experts from a variety of cultural contexts and regions. You serve as a leader who ensures an environment of learning, respect, and mutual understanding
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too
What you’ll do
- Engage and manage local People Operations staff (including Directors) and key vendors for early responsibilities in new countries and continuously manage local People Operations Directors
- Partner with various stakeholders, including local entities, to ensure local compliance and best practices
- Develop and maintain scalable people operations practices and ensure compatibility with Trevor Global practices
- Build a strong brand and value proposition to retain and develop top talent including a clear and compelling articulation of The Trevor Project’s mission, work, and opportunities for engagement in Team Trevor
- Develop and refine people operations strategies, processes, and systems necessary to support Trevor’s rapidly growing international team, while ensuring an exceptionally positive employee experience throughout
- Continuously assess to ensure international people operations processes are representative of Trevor Global values of diversity and inclusion and are localized to each country
- Build strong, trusting relationships with the People Operations team to coach, develop, and deliver trainings on international people operations to locally hired staff
- Build, develop, and manage a team focused on inclusive and equitable management practices that value each individual and successfully manage through layers to achieve team and organizational results
- Identify and utilize data and metrics to drive decision-making around international people operations strategy and to ensure continual improvement, and coach team members to be able to do this work sustainably,
- Partner closely with key Trevor US teams, as well as local offices, to ensure a seamless employee experience with Team Trevor
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
Your application has been successfully submitted.
saving young lgbtq lives