Chief People Officer
Position Title: Regional CPO Latin America
Reports To: James Meaney, Regional Managing Director, Latin America
Compass Group PLC is the world’s leading provider of food and support services, employing more than 600,000 people in around 50 countries and over 50,000 client locations. Millions of people around the world rely on Compass every day to provide their breakfast, lunch and dinner, and, increasingly, clients also rely on the Group to run their reception and office services, clean their desks and carry out their routine maintenance. Compass Group PLC is listed on the FTSE with a turnover of £23 bn.
Around the world, Compass is structured to reflect the markets that it operates in. It is organized in 7 distinct sectors and delivered through unique brands:
Compass Group follows a decentralized and matrixed organization structure. It is a client-based organization and people are their biggest asset with the quality of each individual directly related to the quality of the outcome. The company operates on a lean organization structure and teams are empowered to run locally.
The organization is performance and relationship driven (not hierarchical) and focused on delivering results through alliances and mutual respect. The Human Resource function plays a crucial role in the business by driving performance and growth through partnerships with the Managing Directors.
Compass Group Latin America
Compass is a significant player in its field in Latin America comprising of a large workforce of some 50,000 people spread across diverse markets. The Latin America region currently accounts for approximately of $1B of group revenue with presence in the Business, Industry, Education, Healthcare, Support Services, Sports & Leisure and Defense, Offshore & Remote sectors. The markets are diverse and at different stages of maturity:
- Developed market: Brazil has the scale and multi-sector play; but experiencing headwinds such as increasing competition and structural cost disadvantages.
- Emerging markets: Argentina and Colombia represent significant development opportunities and are growing rapidly at 15-25% per year, with increasing margins.
- Underdeveloped market: Mexico, where a sophisticated sector-specific food service offering has not been implemented on a consistent basis and governance issues have been a barrier to growth.
- Commodity driven market: Chile is mostly a Remote sector market with mining clients at its core. As such, it has been susceptible to fluctuating commodity prices.
We have an exciting opportunity to lead Human Resources for the Latin America region due to an internal promotion! You will Drive and implement the HR strategy ensuring alignment to Compass regional priorities and Global HR Strategy. Ensuring effective planning and communication of agreed HR plans to support local execution. Create the talent agenda, assisting leadership in addressing gaps and ensuring that the right leadership capabilities are in place within our key markets. As CPO for Latin American you will Implement initiatives across the region to increase labor productivity and drive successful business growth.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Encouraging the next level of operational capabilities and evolving a commercially minded yet relationship-oriented and client-based culture through effective talent acquisition, development, and retention processes.
- Develop and lead the succession planning and associated development processes in partnership with the regional leadership team and global management.
- Accountable for addressing all HR issues, leading the HR function; identifies and facilitates practical and timely solutions that best meet the needs of the business and legislation requirements.
- Evaluate the HR capabilities and gaps in each market, and put plans in place for development, “up- skilling” and/or succession planning. Serve as a role model and leader to the human resources professionals and drives the agenda for repositioning HR to deliver value through capability building.
- Develop an effective workforce planning process around key markets to assess future gaps and build talent acquisition, development and retention plans accordingly.
- Build engagement with teams across the region and business, takes a lead on talent development & management, liaising with stakeholders to ensure the right teams are in place. Has a “servant-leader” mentality and the ability to Influence peers and senior leaders across the company to drive positive outcomes. Ability to quickly assess HR capabilities of team and bring along changes will be vital to success in this role.
- 10+ years of generalist HR expertise - Deep functional experience in human resources, with sound strategic outlook
- Operational HR experience in labor intensive organizations with a focus on financial results and labor productivity.
- Proven expertise and dedication to identifying and developing leadership pipelines and succession programs together with a focus on culture.
- Possesses human resources capability including talent, workforce and succession planning, industrial relations, remuneration, HRIS, organization and leadership development skills.
- Prior experience in a non-HR commercial role will be an advantage.
- A strong proponent of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Has worked and lived in key markets in Latin America. Ideally would have practical HR experience in: Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Colombia.
- Demonstrated success serving as a business partner to the regional leadership team to set business direction and strategic growth.
- Proven experience operating as an integral part of a top executive management team, contributing widely to business areas beyond human resources.
- Delivered results in significant and fast-growing business with multi-site operations.
- Experience in B2B service operation and/or food and hospitality a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively within a large and decentralized organizations within a Global organization.
- Bachelor’s degree and Postgraduate (or other similar) qualification desirable. MBA preferred. A Tertiary qualification in a relevant technical or management field such as Commerce or Human Resources.
- Fluent or business proficiency in English, Spanish, and Portuguese - English as primary business language spoken and written.
- Ability to align HR strategy and goals based on a long-term view of where the business is heading; while, at the same time, being willing and able to roll-up his/her sleeves to achieve results.
- Thinks “ahead of the curve” and becoming a sought-after HR strategic advisor on organizational development, talent management, performance management and succession planning issues as they pertain to the current business and, more importantly, as they affect the attainment of future business.
- Works closely with Global HR to align strategy implementation, building a high-performance HR team.
- A strong ally to the Regional Managing Director to implement the Regional agenda.
- A resourceful and hands-on executive who operates effectively with minimum direction and pursues his/her objectives relentlessly yet displays willingness to learn and to grow with the organization.
- Has a positive attitude, is empathetic in approach and is enthusiastic about their business and organization.
- Possess strong emotional intelligence to collaborate and influence effectively at all levels; comfortable with ambiguity and working in different settings.
- Financially astute.
- Flexible and able to adapt to fluid situations and ever-changing environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills at all levels; self-assured, balanced and builds value-based relationships.
- Ability to work well in a multi-cultural environment.
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- Approximately 50% of travel required.
- Miami office based.
Apply to Compass Group today!
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance)
Positions at this location may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination, boosters, and/or regular COVID testing. Where permitted by law, applicants who are offered a position for this location may be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Bonus! If you know someone that is qualified for this role, please use the ‘job search’ in MyOpportunity to refer your referral and email them a link to apply. Your referral will be able to apply by clicking the link in the email then you can check the status under Careers in MyOpportunity by clicking on ‘referral tracking.’ For Employee Referral guidelines, FAQs and the Compass Employee Referral Policy, email MyReferral@compass-usa.com. Click here to view the step-by-step instructions to refer a friend to this position.
Associates at Corporate are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading food service and support services company serving award-winning restaurants, corporate cafes, hospitals, schools, arenas, museums, and more.