VP of People
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
Homeward has scaled from 100 employees to 400+ in 15 months! We are looking for a passionate VP of People to help support, scale, and provide leadership to this rapidly growing organization across key areas of our remote People team. Engaging our team in a remote environment, fostering an inclusive culture, leading our HRBP group, overseeing total rewards will be part of this key leadership role. Reporting to our Chief People Officer, this role will play a strong role in developing, managing, and leading our talent management strategy.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
In this role, you will
- Partner closely with peers and stakeholders across the People organization to assess existing People programs, processes, and practices, identify gaps and inefficiencies and drive innovative solutions to enhance the employee experience.
- Champion collaborative cross-functional relationships with talent acquisition, talent management, learning & development and total rewards to ensure a great experience for employees and managers.
- Lead with best practices and proven methodologies for process improvement, scalability, and automation to support long-term growth objectives.
- Oversee the payroll and benefits function with proven expertise to drive a seamless process that runs on time with reliable accuracy and supreme employee experience.
- Partner with leaders and stakeholders across the organization to innovate in achieving major improvements in efficiency and optimization within our People Operations organization.
- Drive continuous improvement in our People processes, policies, and workflows to ensure they are compliant, efficient, scalable, and reflect Homewards values.
- In partnership with the Employment Law contractor, maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, laws and industry best practices to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to personnel.
- Consistently coach and advise senior leaders on their leadership effectiveness and to employ various techniques including; conflict resolution, team building, professional development, roles and responsibility clarity, resource planning and performance management through effective implementation and technical oversight.
- Partner with talent management to lead holistic talent plans to identify, assess, build, and develop a diverse internal pipeline of talent for the organization.
- Champion a data-driven mindset to identify People Operations reports and analytics that drive insights, business decisions and actions to support long-term grown objectives.
What you’ll bring
- Proven success in leading People Operations function at a fast-growth organization but are happy to roll up your sleeves and be a hands-on contributor.
- Experience with compensation design, implementing tailored best practices and consistent execution at scale.
- Effective collaboration from the tactical to strategic, capable of leading major initiatives or offering support and consultation.
- Decision making processes based on data while setting quantitative goals in balance with experience and qualitative inputs.
- Interest in improving the complex, emotional process of buying and selling a home and making it the exciting milestone in people’s lives that it deserves to be.
- Thought leadership, tailored insights, and strategic perspective to designing, implementing, and continuously improving high-impact People initiatives.
- Experience with different approaches in talent strategy and have a track record of showing the results of these alternative approaches.
- Deep content expertise in employee engagement, performance management, learning management, and organizational development.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're a modern home finance company that partners with agents to help homebuyers win with cash and buy before they sell.