Head of People Operations
This job is no longer accepting applications.
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
About the Role:
Our team is looking for a People Operations Leader who will be responsible for managing organizational development and people-related strategy and execution. This person will partner with the GM and leadership team to create a comprehensive people plan to essentially build a people operations org from the ground up. This role will be a blend of execution and strategy in order to solve complex organizational challenges in a growing team that is defining its cultural definition. You’ll be an integral part of the leadership team: a thought leader of people and organizational topics who understands every aspect of the group.
You’ll partner with a cross-functional group of subject matter experts to design and execute the strategy for how we hire, onboard, develop, motivate, retain and organize members of our team. In our hands-on culture, you’ll have the opportunity to execute and get things done, rolling out new programs such as workforce planning, compensation, performance management, change management, talent development, and DEI advocacy.
This role requires working collaboratively, strong communication skills, a heightened attention to detail, superb organization, and collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders.The ideal candidate is someone who is experienced with change management and is comfortable operating in an organization that moves quickly. We are a dynamic organization that likes to run experiments so are looking for a colleague who is excited about trying new things and offering a creative yet efficient approach to people programs. This will require you to think big, use data to guide your work, be comfortable challenging convention, and in some cases help reinvent how work is done. You are scrappy and resourceful, creative and driven - a strong coach to senior leaders and effective people manager. You are equally comfortable working on the known as well as the unknown. You will be part of the wider leadership team with an important seat at the table. We want and expect to hear your voice, even if that means supporting or challenging leadership decisions.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Offer thought leadership regarding organizational and people-related strategy and execution. Provide insightful data to guide decision making and provide proactive solutions. Strong level of comfort in ambiguity and actively contributing to deeply complex people strategy discussions.
- Build and lead a team that owns end-to-end HR programs and execution for assignments of all types in partnership with; X and Alphabet People Ops, Corp development, Finance, and Leadership teams.
- Partner closely with the leadership team to define success metrics to guide organizational decisions and priorities; offer coaching and guidance in real time as needed to help accelerate the organization.
- Apply a sharp, creative approach to solve complex problems and get to the root cause of any issue with the aim to identify new ways in building a robust infrastructure beyond people and organizational solutions.
- Provide expertise in the following areas: employee relations, performance management, coaching, international expansion, benefits & compensation, diversity & inclusion, learning & development, compliance & legal, and strategic development.
- Develop a global location strategy and operational plan as our footprint expands.
- Be a ‘People’s Champion’, promote and demonstrate what our culture means in practice. We firmly believe that diverse perspectives make us a better and stronger business.That also means making your voice heard when necessary and calling out bad behavior. It's about doing the right thing.
- The Head of People and Ops should be able to articulate clearly why our benefits relate to our values, and how our performance process is very true to our culture. Be a partner and trusted advisor to leaders. Coach leadership in building strong connections across the employee base and support the development of the team.
- Build trust, credibility and rapport with senior leaders and the organization as whole
- while managing a complex set of stakeholders to drive organizational change.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8 years of HR Business Partner or generalist experience supporting senior clients
It would be great if you also had these:
- MA/MS/MBA degree.
- Experience working as a management consultant, working with external clients.
- Proven ability to work within constraints while challenging the status quo.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to analyze data, understand trends and develop recommendations for action based on the analysis.
- International experience
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
X is a moonshot factory