Chief People & Culture Officer
Department: Senior Leadership Team
Employment Status: Full-time; Remote
Reports to: Alan Safran, CEO
Position Level: Senior
Anticipated compensation: Starting at $130k, commensurate with experience
Who We Are
Saga Education is a national nonprofit aimed at confronting educational inequity by supporting historically marginalized schools and their students. Saga Education has dedicated itself to providing high-dosage, in-school math tutoring in partnership with public high schools. Since our founding in 2014, Saga Education and our AmeriCorps Member Math Fellows have served over 22,600 students across Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C, Providence, RI, Charleston, SC, and Broward County, FL.
For more information about Saga Education’s mission, please visit us at www.sagaeducation.org.
The Work and Why it Matters
Educational inequity doesn’t have to be a fact. We know every student is capable of earning success in school and in life, but often do not receive the individualized support they deserve. Implementing academic interventions that address the inequities faced by historically marginalized students continues to be one of our nation’s most urgent challenges. While educators, and students alike, have experienced many unprecedented challenges recently, educators continue to report that their top concern is students falling behind in math. This concern is heightened for educators in high-poverty districts who predominantly teach Black or Latinx students.
At Saga Education, we leverage the best of technology and human instruction to maximize learning, to improve student confidence, and to help students feel connected to a caring adult in school. Now more than ever, we need talented, caring, and capable people, committed to supporting our students in their academic and social development.
Saga Education is recruiting for its first Chief People & Culture Officer. This newly created senior leadership role is intended to act as a catalyst to help our organization thrive through our journey of rapid growth and expansion. The ideal candidate for this role will be a seasoned HR/Talent leader with significant generalist experience, as well as expertise in Organization Development/Effectiveness, DEIB and/or Talent Management. They will need to bring energy and enthusiasm with contemporary practices and fresh ideas to help us examine our processes and culture to support the Saga staff and improve in ways that enrich our work lives and enhance effectiveness across the organization.
Saga is poised for rapid, exponential growth over the next 3-5 years. It's leadership recognizes that Saga’s ability to maximize its impact for students hinges on the health of the organization itself; creating fertile ground for attracting, growing and keeping strong talent. Success in this position will require strong skills in talent management; diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging; organizational effectiveness (including culture, change and transformation); talent acquisition; employee relations; workplace policies and practices; compensation & benefits; and employee communications.
Why you want this job:
- Growth: Saga is navigating a wealth of opportunities; from developing our long-term strategic direction to the expansion of locations, to launching new lines of business. You’ll help us develop our strategy, refine our culture and build the team needed to move us forward
- Impact: There aren’t many organizations with as strong a platform, a multi-faceted funding model, and as powerful a social impact
- Team: You’ll be a key member of a senior leadership team that is evolving to take Saga to the next stage of growth and beyond
- Community: We have a large and uniquely passionate community of committed professionals dedicated to meeting the changing needs of the students we serve
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead: Serve as a senior leader, and chart the course of the evolution of human resources to the transformational strategic core of Saga
- Strategize: In partnership with the CEO and executive team, provide insightful, innovative thinking and problem solving on critical issues across the organization
- Build: Lead the articulation and realization of a culture that is aligned with Saga’s values and in which diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are deeply embedded
- Develop: Lead the development and evolution of our team and culture, creating an employee experience, compensation strategy, and learning and development program that keeps our amazing workforce effective, motivated, and engaged
- Manage: Build, develop and guide our HR and Talent teams in a way that is seen as an example of a company that’s getting it right
- Grow: Expand our recruiting function and build our employer brand as we look to expand the team
- Drive Change: Shepherd staff through organizational change in a manner that is affirming, engaging and inspiring
- Mission Alignment
- Organizational Agility
- Building Effective Teams
- Strategic Mindset
- Drives Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
- Change Management
- Culture Building
- Emotional Intelligence
Why we’re excited about you:
- Scale: Your experience scaling multi-state, multifaceted organizations will ensure that we understand where we are going over the next several years and can see around corners
- Talent Magnet: You know how to bring the best talent to Saga, and then set up the culture, opportunities, and compensation to keep them happy, productive, and growing over the long term
- Building High-Performing Teams: You have a framework for how companies turn good teams into great teams and can refine and execute that model at Saga
- Strategic HR and Operational Expertise: You will bring systems thinking, strong people practices and visionary leadership to drive Saga’s human capital management to excellence
- Inspiring and Thoughtful Communications: Your ability to craft the right message to the team in both good times and bad will help us stay aligned and focused
- Non-Profit Experience: You’ve worked for a non-profit agency, and understand some of the unique challenges and opportunities that come with the territory
Saga Education offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, generous PTO, as well as opt-in programs such as 401k retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and discounts through Tickets At Work. Saga Education will provide company-owned technology when applicable.
Saga Education provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for applying to Saga Education.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
America’s most trusted leader on powerful tutoring relationships.