Chief People Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Mentor Collective is an unapologetically good business model. Every dollar of revenue we generate leads to greater belonging and social mobility for 100,000s of students and employees across the country. We are committed to closing the equity gap in post-secondary education and have built a diverse, performance-oriented team to accomplish our ambitions.
Having recently closed new funding from leading SaaS and Impact investors in late 2021, we are seeking a mission-driven Chief People Officer to help steward our talent strategy into a new era of growth and social impact.
This is a unique opportunity for an accomplished people leader to establish best-in-class Human Resources and DE&I practices within an inclusive and performance-oriented company. While efforts will initially focus on internal employee experience and success, the role will slowly grow in its sphere of influence as Mentor Collective expands on early success in workforce mentoring. With world class culture and programs cemented at Mentor Collective, the Chief People Officer will shift their focus to external thought leadership and become a major figure in our 3-5 year growth plan.
This role reports directly to the CEO and sits on Mentor Collective’s Senior Leadership Team.
As Chief People Officer, you and your team will be responsible for the following key areas:
Design talent strategy
- Drive organizational thinking to shape talent needs
- Perform scenario-based workforce planning to ensure future key positions are appropriately sourced and planned for
- Assess needed capabilities to deliver on growth goals and strategically augment through hiring and training (e.g. mix of domain expertise vs SaaS growth expertise)
- Identify and develop key partnerships and needed capabilities to implement vision
- Work with CFO to maintain plan within operational budget
Coach MC leadership team
- Act as focal point and voice of talent management for the organization
- Monitor SLT heath and drive efforts to improve team performance
- Strategize and implement tactics that promote alignment between functions, departments and locations
- Personally mentor functional leaders and be viewed as approachable, effective and willing to help
- Quickly build understanding of value drivers of business and gain and maintain credibility and successfully influence executives to make tough, timely decisions regarding human capital
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Partner with Mentor Collective’s DEI Council and external training consultants to implement best-in-class training programs
- Help hold hiring managers and leadership accountable to Mentor Collective’s three Pillars of DEI Excellence: (1) Reflect our mission (2) Live our mission (3) Learn before leading
- Maintain pay equity assessments across the organization
Talent acquisition & onboarding
- Build an employer brand that has gravity in the market, attracts talent and facilitates easier hiring
- Develop a hiring strategy, framework, process/scorecards
- Work with hiring managers and recruiters to find, screen, and sell candidates.
- Ensure MC’s hiring strategy aligns with early employee retention
- Create best-in-class onboarding programs to ensure all new hires meet or exceeds expectations by their 3 month check-in
- Motivate, train and develop high performers.
- Put in place development programs to address key training needs (e.g., new manager training)
- Design and implement a consistent, effective performance management process and ensure a clear and aligned compensation philosophy and strategy.
- Work with all areas of the company to reinforce or implement a pay- for-performance compensation model.
- Improve upon Mentor Collective’s semi annual performance review process
- Create simple, clear job levels and bands.
- When necessary, support employee transition out of the organization with clarity and empathy
- Conduct exit interviews, mine for patterns and redress as needed
Employee success & retention
- Oversee and improve upon MC’s internal mentorship program, managed on our proprietary platform
- Proactively identify retention risk levels and nature of risk and together with relevant leaders, implement an individualized retention strategy where necessary
- Drive high employee engagement: develop and implement engagement measures an implement on a recurring basis
- Achieve industry-leading employee retention and upward mobility outcomes
Lead and build the HR team
- Inherit a team of HR professionals to deliver against talent strategy, including:
- Senior Manager - prior experience in hyper growth environment
- Talent Acquisition Associate - prior experience leading DE&I programs and leading recruitment efforts
- Coordinator - prior experience in culture/operations at venture-backed tech company
- Coach, develop and hold team accountable for delivery
- Role model excellent managerial practices within People Ops function
Long term: become the thought leader
- Within 1-2 years of tenure at Mentor Collective, begin to collaborate with Mentor Collective’s Marketing leadership to establish an external brand, centered in practices that drive employee success
- Write and speak on the topics of employee mentorship and inclusive performance culture
- Engage with an external community of People Operations leaders to reinforce Mentor Collective’s brand in the market while showcasing our best practices at home
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Prior experience leading HR/People Ops from $2-10M ARR to $30M+
- Track record of institutionalizing best-in-class employee experiences that retain top talent
- Demonstrated commitment to building diverse teams and inclusive leadership culture
- Eloquent verbal communicator; capable of confidently presenting to diverse audiences in a variety of high stakes environment
- Strong influencing skills (without authority); partner to the business and brings a deep understanding of how people drive business outcomes
- Equally credible with the Board and with entry level employees
- Relentless focus on execution – willing to execute individually as needed
- Drives a culture of urgency, proactivity, excellence, empathy and customer-orientation
- 6 Medical plan to choose from including one plan that is 100% employer covered for individuals and a partner/dependent plan that is 50% employer covered
- 5 Dental/Vision plans to choose from, which includes 80% employer covered for individuals and a partner/dependent plan that is 50% employer covered
- Remote first company
- Unlimited PTO with a minimum requirement for employees
- Company-wide winter break PTO (paid time off)
- 401k benefits
- Continued professional budget to be spent at your discretion
- Stipend for WFH office set up
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work remote while traveling, ability to set work from home days/schedule
- Bi-annual 360 feedback sessions
You are welcome at Mentor Collective! Mentor Collective welcomes all people, embracing their age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation and expression, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, nationality, culture, religion, and perspective. We want to create an inclusive and equitable work environment that reflects the very students and universities we serve.
About Mentor Collective
Relationships shape the experience and outcomes of a student’s journey through higher education. Some students will find these relationships among faculty and advisors; however, many more will struggle to forge the long-lasting relationships that drive student success and open doors. At Mentor Collective, we seek to make life-changing relationships a feature of every student’s college experience. To realize this vision, we partner with forward-thinking institutions that are committed to equity, inclusion, and relationship-centered education.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Mentorship makes college work for everyone.