VP, Executive Talent
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are
Anthos Capital (“Anthos”) is an investment partner to exceptional entrepreneurs building leading growth-stage companies. We invest in and help support disruptive companies that positively impact their markets and communities, while generating strong shareholder returns. Our Growth Team partners with management teams to provide strategic guidance and services to significantly inflect company trajectories. Anthos was founded in 2007, manages assets totaling more than $3 billion, and is headquartered in Los Angeles with locations in Seattle, San Francisco, New York, and Charlotte.
Whom we’re seeking
You know that expression, “culture eats strategy for breakfast”? At Anthos, we 100% believe that, and go one step further: high caliber and high EQ talent is what creates that culture. We know that the key differentiator between a standout venture and middling one is its people. Therefore, as investors, we go beyond just supplying capital; we are aggressively building out a Growth team to activate and accelerate our highest priority portfolio companies. Critical to our success is building a People function that can quickly home in on the right executive talent to catalyze an organization, and we can only do this with a strong and experienced VP of Executive Talent.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, service-oriented individual with significant search firm and/or in-house recruiting expertise at the Director/VP/C-levels. The ability to build something great from nothing, being flexible and productive in a world of ambiguity, and exhibiting strong work ethic and high EQ are essential traits. As the VC industry becomes ever more competitive, we’re looking for someone who is willing to go the extra mile(s) to ensure Anthos stays ahead of the pack in terms of our talent search offering and outcomes.
This role reports into the Head of People and Platform Talent.
What you’ll be doing
Act as the internal talent agency for Anthos’ portcos
- Apply business acumen, pattern recognition, and a consultative approach to understand what level of talent portcos need to achieve accelerated outcomes.
- Build out a broad and deep network of exec-level candidates as a pipeline for future searches.
- Bring in the necessary tools and apps to enable high-speed and accurate sourcing and assessment.
- Personally source, assess, and close a number of exec-level candidates on behalf of portcos, working closely with company leadership to ensure a strong and lasting fit.
- Over time, potentially grow and develop a team of peers and sourcers to deepen Anthos’ ability to place the right talent at the right time, more quickly.
Provide expertise to portcos on exec recruiting best practices
- Educate and consult portco leaders on how to recruit talent, including developing an employer value proposition, branding, an unbiased assessment process, and closing. The goal is for them to be able to do this on their own, and to do this well.
- Jump in to help any stalled processes, bringing in your expertise and perspectives on identifying the right levels to target, etc.
Continuously refresh and expand the Anthos candidate database
- Become Anthos’ primary point of contact for exec candidates, including Advisors, referrals, etc.
- Build and maintain the database of talent, categorized in a way that enables easy referencing.
- Regularly meet with or talk with execs to update what they are thinking, what they are looking for, and to gauge their personality fit.
- Activate and broaden Anthos’ candidate pool by engaging the broader Anthos team regularly.
Manage and refresh network of external recruiting partners
- Compile and maintain the “best of” lists for external recruiters -- not just agency names, but specific individuals by function / industry / company stage / etc.
- Negotiate Anthos master service agreements, and track usage and success rates. Gather feedback from companies about what’s worked, what’s not, and apply lessons to future recommendations.
Ultimately, your key success metrics will be tiered: for priority investments, number of placements per year; for other investments, how well portcos are able to run exec recruiting on their own (solid process, pitch, close rates). And across all investments, positive feedback from CEOs about the value you bring.
What you bring to Anthos
- 10+ years of talent acquisition experience, either in-house or agency. Minimum of 5 years focused on exec-level searches at fast-scaling tech startups.
- Track record of successful full-cycle recruiting of exec talent across Technical, Finance, Marketing, and Operational roles. Has ready-made Rolodex at their fingertips.
- Comprehensive and ever-evolving understanding of recruiting technologies to bring in-house at Anthos and to recommend to portcos.
- Executive presence, high EQ -- the ability to advise, build trust, and work with leaders from different walks of life and experience.
- Strong, compelling verbal and written communications that balance professionalism with the right tone and are appropriately tailored to the audience.
- Intrinsic sense of urgency and desire to get things done at a high level of quality. Self-driven, does things without being asked, because they simply care and take pride in their work.
- Business acumen and the ability to quickly connect the dots between what a portco does/wants and what they specifically need.
- Organized, process-driven, and able to sell others to adopt and espouse that process.
- Entrepreneurial and able to navigate ambiguity successfully.
- Patience to teach and develop others.
- Humility, curiosity to learn from everyone around them.
Sue Choe, Head of People and Portfolio Talent: schoe @ anthoscapital (dot) com
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Anthos is an investment firm focused on growth-stage private companies at the forefront of change.