Chief People Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
WHAT'S THE SITUATION?
We have operations in over 40 countries around the world. But around 100 of our 150 staff are based in the UK and USA.
Until now, we have underinvested in our HR and People function. We’re working really hard to put that right, with new HRIS and Applicant Tracking Systems due to be implemented during Q4 2021. We’re also in the middle of a really exciting transformation, “Project 21” which will accelerate our growth and support a step-change in how we think, act and behave as a business.
As our first ever CPO, you’ll be the leader who owns, lives and breathes this journey. Working closely alongside our executive team and regional leadership, some of the things you’ll be doing include:
- Getting the basics right across the globe: job descriptions, contracts, onboarding, offboarding, retaining, coaching, developing and everything else you’d expect in an HR function. We need our day-to-day HR operations to be smooth, efficient and effective. We also need to be compliant with all the laws and regulations in the countries where we operate.
- Supporting our growth journey. We have big, bold plans. This includes growing our teams, especially in Sales and Marketing. We need to be hiring the best possible talent and then giving them a great employee experience so that they stay and grow with us. And we also
- Want to make sure we are planning for succession. Our ways of working need to be able to scale as we grow.
- Advocating for technology. We want our staff experience to be as good as we can make it. We also want costs to grow more slowly than our revenues. This is going to mean making great use of technology to excite and engage our staff, while keeping our processes lean and efficient. The HRIS and ATS platforms are a good start. We’d like you to help us work out what comes next!
- From the moment someone applies to work for us, until they leave for their next challenge, you will help us to embody the right behavior, culture and ethos. We want our employees to know that we look after them in the same way that we treat our customers.
- We want to build a great company culture with an engaged and diverse work force. You’ll help us further define and refine this. At the moment we’re focusing on communications, transparency, honesty, openness and recognizing hard work.
WHO ARE YOU?
You are excited by this challenge and are keen to jump in and own the journey!
This is the first time we’ve ever looked for a CPO, so we’re learning too. We are open minded about where and how you might have learned your craft but here are some of the things we think will be important:
- You’ve worked in HR in a dynamic, fast growing company before. If it’s been owned by Private Equity that’s even better.
- We have team members all over the globe. You’ll need to have good experience of working in multi-country environments, preferably with specific experience in both the UK and USA.
- You have got your hands dirty dealing with the nitty gritty of processes, rules, regulations and policies. We need to be great at these.
- You're passionate about the potential for technology to improve the effectiveness of the HR function and to give staff the best possible experience.
- You’re a builder. Our HR team right now is small and full of energy for the future. You’ll be able to support, coach and develop this team to be the best they can be. You’ll also have a vision for how we need to evolve to support MPLCs growth plans.
- You might be someone looking to make a jump up from being a great HR professional and become a true people leader. Or you may be looking to rekindle your passion for building and driving an impactful HR function. We’re excited to hear about why you think you would be a great first ever CPO for MPLC.
LET'S TRY TO PUT YOU OFF!
We think MPLC is a great place to be already and it’s only going to get more exciting. But we’re honest that it might not be for everyone. Here are some things you should have a think about:
- The business is in a period of change. Right now, our Chair is acting CEO and we’ll be identifying a permanent CEO within the next 6 months.
- Your reporting line is likely to change to another leadership executive so you will need to be flexible.
- We’re aiming to grow quickly and be lean. You won’t have a huge budget or a massive team. You will have part time support with HR admin in both LA and UK. It’s about maximizing the resources we have and being smart with our investments.
- You’ll need to be as comfy in the weeds as you are in the clouds. You’ll be rolling up your sleeves to deliver in the morning and then painting an amazing vision for the future in the afternoon.
- You’ll be happy working with imperfect information and significant process gaps. We need you to fix these for us!
- Our business is complex and, at +30 years old, we have plenty of history and loose ends. People who are good at navigating this tend to be low ego, have high emotional intelligence and be able to make friends and build relationships quickly.
- Like most people, we’ve got pretty good at working remotely recently. We’re imagining you being in the LA office every week with travel to the UK office a few times a year, but once it’s safe and appropriate. There may also be occasional other international travel. But we’re open to discussing this.
If you’d like to be a part of our thinking for the future of MPLC, then we’d love to hear from you. All you need to do is:
- Read this advert carefully and do some research on our business. Our website and the Tenzing websites are good places to start.
- Carefully tailor your CV to best show how your experience aligns to what we are looking for.
- Write us the best covering letter you can explaining why you’re excited about the role and why you think you’d be great at it.
- The hiring manager is Julie Maresca, General Counsel, and you can address your letter and CV to her.
Pro Tip: We’re not too worried about how many pages your CV is. But we do love people who can capture and convey their ideas clearly and quickly. Focus on a standout application that is tailored to what we’re looking for in the job advert and we’d love to learn more about you.
The Chief People Officer (CPO) is the face of MPLC to employees. In this role, the CPO will cultivate MPLC’s culture to promote a positive and driven place to thrive. The CPO will promote effective employee relations and retention, recruits new talent, ensure succession planning and is an available resource to managers and employees in cases of employee and/or management dissatisfaction. The CPO minimizes risk by ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures of this global company. MPLC seeks to align its commitment to professionalism throughout our offices worldwide, and is looking for a CPO who can navigate the HR world on a global basis. This position is an exciting opportunity for an HR professional to create a global HR department.
- Significant HR management experience, preferably with a large company.
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral; ability to communicate professionally at all levels within the company.
- Ability to take initiative and facilitate solutions to employee issues with keen sense of effectiveness and good judgment.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university or college.
- Must have working knowledge of labor and employment laws.
- Human Resources Certificate, a plus.
- Medical | MPLC provides both HMO and PPO health plans with MPLC paying 90% of the HMO plan rate for employee and family members. Medical eligibility is the 1st of the month following the month after the hire date. For example, if hired on January 1, coverage would become available on February 1.
- Dental | MPLC provides a dental plan at no cost to the employee. Family member coverage is available to the employee at the employee’s expense. Dental eligibility is the 1st of the month following the month after the hire date.
- Premium Only Plan | MPLC provides a “Section 125” Premium-Only-Plan that allows employees to pay medical and dental insurance premiums with pre- tax earnings.
- 401K Profit Sharing | MPLC offers a 401(K) Profit Sharing Retirement Plan that employees can contribute into, at their option, after the first year of full-time employment. Eligibility is January 1 or July 1 following 12 months of full-time employment. MPLC matches 100% of deferral contributions up to a maximum of 4% of compensation.
- Vacation | Vacation hours for full-time employees accrue on a pro rata basis. Generally, full time employees scheduled to work 40 hours per week are entitled to 10 days (80 hours) paid vacation each year. This minimum number provided shall increase by one day in each of years 2 through 6 of employment on your employment anniversary date. An additional 40 hours are added the beginning of the 11th year of employment.
- Sick | Employees receive a lump sum of 48 sick-time hours on day of hire to be used 30 days after their hire date, and then every January thereafter.
- Holidays | MPLC observes nine (9) paid holidays in which the office is closed: They are generally as follows, but may be adjusted year by year: New Year’s Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. In addition, the office will maintain Friday hours on Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eves if falling during a workday. In 2022, MPLC is adding 2 additional holidays (Juneteenth and Veterans Day).
- Pay | Every other Friday.
Movies and TV entertain, educate, and inspire. What you may not have considered is that this content is intended for personal, private use only and requires a license when shown in public. This provision of the U.S. Copyright Act applies to public exhibitions of movies, TV, and other audiovisual content enjoyed from sources like broadcast, cable or satellite television, DVD, Blu-ray, download, or streaming platforms.
MPLC was founded in 1986 with the goal of providing an affordable way for the public to enjoy movies, TV, and other audiovisual content outside of the home with the assurance of copyright compliance. Since the introduction of MPLC’s pioneering Umbrella License®, we have come a long way, now representing more than 1,000 rights holders and licensing in more than 40 countries around the world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
let us help you enjoy legal peace of mind