Head of People
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
About the role
At Shiru, our team is core to our mission of creating a more sustainable food system. Our brilliant and passionate scientists, food industry veterans, project managers, and biotech pioneers all have one thing in common - a deep care for our planet and desire to mend our broken food system. Shiru's mission attracts exceptional people and pushes them to achieve audacious goals. As the first Head of People at Shiru, you will have the unique opportunity to shape the culture and vision of the company during rapid growth.
You're motivated and deeply passionate about Shiru's mission of creating a more sustainable food system via groundbreaking innovation. You are empathetic and sincerely care about helping people thrive in all aspects of their lives, especially when it comes to reaching new heights professionally. You've had plenty of past success inspiring and motivating teams with a clear strategy for People and Culture. You pride yourself on your extreme attention to detail and you are a highly effective communicator, collaborator, and stakeholder manager. This is not your first time leading a company through rapid growth - you have excelled in this arena before, picked up some valuable learnings, and you're excited to do it again.
- Build Shiru's People Function: In this role you’ll have the unique opportunity to build out benefits and compensation strategies that will best motivate our extraordinary and growing team. You’ll be accountable for all things ‘people’ including payroll, benefits administration, and ensuring Shiru is compliant with all labor-related regulations and updating policies.
- Recruitment and Onboarding: Refine and deploy a recruitment process to attract exceptional and diverse people. Shiru is scaling quickly, and hiring and bringing onboard the best people is one of our highest priorities.
- Shiru's Culture Champion: Partner with the CEO and broader team to ensure we are staying true to our mission, vision, and values in all decisions. Create and implement training, company rituals, and other programs that enhance Shiru's cultures and values as we rapidly scale.
- Policy Implementation: Shiru needs to remain flexible while implementing key policies that reflect our mission and values to ensure successful scaling. Some of the policies and strategies that are important to us include: Fair and scalable compensation strategies, Performance management, Diversity & Inclusion in recruiting and in day-to-day life at Shiru, and Leave policies (including parental leave)
- Organizational Development & Change Management: Shiru is a high growth company. Excellent candidates will be deeply skilled in change management at all levels from senior leaders to associates. You have first hand knowledge of the challenges of scaling a team and are also able to think at a high level about what the organization will need in the future. In this role, you will advise on and implement organizational changes to ensure the team structure remains fit for our rapidly growing and evolving business.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years experience as an HR generalist
- You’ve advocated for and built new programs, coached executives, diagnosed culture problems, fixed compliance issues, and thrown some great parties
- Off the charts EQ, excellent judgment, discretion, and grace under pressureYou’re reliable and responsive, effective with your time, you take ownership, and you finish what you start
- You know all the tools and have opinions on their strengths and flaws
- You understand and care about issues and opportunities related to diversity and inclusion, gender/race equality and fair employment practices
- You’re excited to work in a fast-paced, low-structure environment to build a culture of high performance and inclusivity
- This is not your first time leading at a fast-paced startup - you have excelled at many of these responsibilities before, all while managing extreme growth. The ideal candidate will have honed these skills in a biotech company previously.
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
transforming the future of food