Chief People Officer
WHY we get up in the morning
At GHJ we help our people and clients pursue their passions, build thriving businesses, and create a better future.
WHAT We Believe
We believe that collaboration is the foundation for success. We work as a business advocate for our clients - providing personalized service and building long-term relationships to help position our clients for the future.
HOW We Succeed
We are deeply committed to our core values of Bright Minds, Brave Hearts and Bold Actions and incorporate them into every aspect of our business. By living these values, we are able to meet our strategic objectives of Remaining Fiercely Independent (financial success), Meeting client demands/needs (client success), Reinforcing and expanding cultural distinction (people success).
General Summary Of Role
Chief People Officers (CPOs) hold a variety of different roles and jobs that transcend the normal definition of an HR leader. CPOs are data-focused strategists, team builders and culture creators who help craft the values within a firm and maximize employee potential.
The GHJ Chief People Officer will be a thought leader, directly responsible for the success of our people strategies supporting our enterprise-wide vision and strategic plan each year. S/he will be also responsible for the overall management, development and administration of the Human Resources (HR) team, processes and programs. CPO will be a strategic, hands-on HR Business Partner, consulting across the full spectrum of "generalist" knowledge, to include: employee relations, compensation and benefits, talent review and management, change management, organizational design, learning and development, recruiting, strategic staffing, and any other areas requiring HR expertise.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with senior management towards improved results and high levels of employee engagement. The CPO will represent management and firm interests in effectively identifying and resolving issues and maintaining or enhancing productivity, while also effectively communicating employee concerns to senior management. A successful candidate must be able to not only successfully resolve issues directly, but also educate and advise managers/employees in appropriate issues resolution; monitor management actions and decisions to maintain legal and firm policy compliance and values.
The CPO will report directly to the Managing Partner, Tom Barry. S/he will also work closely with the executive leadership team and senior management across 8 departmental channels. This role will manage and develop five direct reports.
Essential Key Responsibilities
- Providing impactful leadership and informed consulting support to management on matters of HR policy development and strategic implementation of HR programs in support of achieving firm objectives and business growth; providing an HR perspective to discussions of issues and problems facing the firm, reflecting knowledge of leading trends in HR leadership.
- Assessing the firm's capability; overseeing the creation of HR planning methods and identifying competency, knowledge and talent gaps and ensuring the development of people resources.
- Providing excellent management skills to oversee all tactical areas of HR, including employee relations, performance management, organizational development, DEI and recruiting (including required EEO compliance) and organizational structure.
- Contributing to the firm's growth strategy by assisting in the optimal realignment of resources and integration of business processes necessary to create the "organization of the future".
- Developing strategies to advise on the enhancement and promotion of the firm culture to meet future objectives reflective of the firm vision. Establishing, planning, and executing specific HR initiatives and goals that align with the firm's strategic vision.
- Enhancing internal communication processes and messaging to support successful development of the firm's culture.
- Developing, communicating, implementing, and interpreting HR policies and practices to ensure fair and consistent administration, including working closely with the firm's outside counsel as appropriate.
- Assessing how talent strategies impact the firm's ability to reach and achieve goals. Aligning HR and business strategies that will advance the enterprise in reaching those goals.
- Providing talent management expertise and guidance in recruitment strategy, workforce planning, dispersed workforce and skills assessment. Is a student of leading hybrid and dispersed workplace approaches to enhance overall engagement and productivity.
- Directs the recruiting process management including the sourcing, screening, interviewing and recommending candidates for hire. Oversees the OCR (On Campus Recruiting) and experienced hire recruiting process. Approving final agreements with recruiters as needed for the experienced hire process.
- Monitoring management actions and decisions to maintain legal and company policy compliance and values. Educating firm supervisors and managers for ongoing adherence.
- Advising management in appropriate resolution of employee relations' issues, and assisting firm supervisors and managers in better employee communication and interaction to help avoid such issues.
- Ensuring enquiries from staff and management regarding policies, procedures, programs and benefits get handled effectively and efficiently.
- Consistently monitoring and improving our ongoing performance management review process including compensation, benefits, and job titles. Provide insight/guidance to management regarding compensation and salary administration.
- Reviewing, monitoring and analyzing employee engagement (morale and productivity) and consulting with firm management on leading methods and processes to steadily increase engagement metrics.
Qualifications & Experience
We are industry agnostic on the candidates' backgrounds, but have a preference for experience in a high-growth, middle-market organization with prior experience in an advanced "best-practices" environment.
We are looking for a minimum of 15 years plus of HR experiences with demonstrated successes.
The ideal candidate will have effectively managed and led a human resources function for at least 6 years with a track record of innovative and transformational change management skills.
We are looking for someone who understands and is impactful in designing, coaching, and implementing a best in class talent organization.
The CPO will have technical competencies to lead traditional HR functions such as: employee relations, organizational development, strategic staffing and recruitment, learning and development, compensation and performance management, benefits, and compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
This individual will also be able to bring a strategic, pragmatic approach to people and culture.
This individual will be able to demonstrate contributions and transformations and how s/he contributed to, and sustained, a positive impact upon a relevant business enterprise.
We are seeking the following:
- A degree in HR management, business management or a related discipline; a MS/MA degree would be preferred.
- A broad knowledge base in HR functions including employee relations, recruitment, learning and development, DEI, business partnering, performance management, HR-IT applications, and leadership/organizational development.
- Proven track record of building, participating in and implementing successful HR organizations working closely with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated success as a change agent in a prior organization.
- Proficiency in conflict resolution, employee relations, and customer service skills is desired.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (oral and written), influencing and consulting skills are required.
- Ability to develop relationships and have significant influence at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated facilitation, writing, speaking and presentation/platform skills are desired.
- Progressive management experience with strong background and accomplishments in employee relations/engagement, talent measurement-methodologies, and organizational learning & development.
- Ability to provide a value-added service orientation to both line management and human resources.
- Excellent interactive/interpersonal skills; proactive problem-solver.Processes information quickly and responds to needs with appropriate urgency.
- Ability to set priorities, superior project management and role-specific analytical skills; demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously (often with conflicting priorities and schedules).
- Significant entrepreneurial instincts, drive, energy, and a sincere passion for creating a world class HR organization.
- Must be able to act as a strategic partner and think at the highest and best use level for the organization while also willing to "roll up sleeves," operate at any level (from senior management to entry level positions) of the organization and do whatever it takes to ensure the continued successful execution and growth of the business.
- Hands-on approach with consistent attention to detail, organization, reliability and a "get it done" attitude; a can-do attitude, with a high sense of urgency; self-motivated and highly experienced with multi- tasking.
- An individual who appreciates the importance of the firm culture, including a respect for what the firm has achieved and will continue to become.
- Embraces and reflects our mission, core values and behavioral anchors (see attached).
- Ability to balance the hands-on approach with delegation and management of the team, their accountability and development.
- Strong personal accountability, ownership of position with outstanding collaboration and communication skills.
- A proactive results-focused individual who delivers on commitments throughout the organization.
- Can be looked upon as a role model for others in the firm.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality and displays sound, composed judgment at all times.
- Must be a team-player, be flexible, and be an active listener with a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Ability to manage sensitive, confidential issues, solve practical problems, and interpret instructions.
- Excellent interpersonal and interviewing skills.
Six decades, overriding focus: our people and our clients.
GHJ was founded in 1953, making us one of the oldest independent firms in the Los Angeles area. Ranked as a top 20 largest accounting firm on the Los Angeles Business Journal's Book of Lists, the firm has 15 partners and approximately 170 staff members that serve over 3,000 clients. Our firm is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the AICPA Governmental Audit Quality Center (GAQC), Public Company Accounting Oversite Board (PCAOB), the California Society of CPAs and the California Association of Nonprofits (CAN). Collaboration and maintaining strong relationships are the cornerstones of our success.
We are also an independent member of HLB International, a worldwide organization of over 250 member professional accounting firms and business advisors. This affiliation gives us access to the subject matter experts of other member firms and provides consulting and professional services in over 158 countries through its nearly 800 offices worldwide.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
great things happen when people collaborate