Vice President of People Operations
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
People are at the core of what we do. As The Trevor Project expands to pursue our mission to end LGBTQ youth suicide, we are growing our People Operations team to ensure our high-performing staff is provided with best-in-class experiences. The Vice President of People Operations will oversee and provide strategic guidance to the team’s approach to employee engagement and culture; learning and development; performance management; benefits and total rewards, diversity, equity and inclusion; and organizational design and development. Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Vice President of People Operations will coach and collaborate with direct reports and strategically partner with leaders across the organization to support evolving organizational needs and priorities as we more than double our team of 250 staff over the next 18 months. As a mission-driven professional experienced in overseeing People teams in rapidly scaling organizations, the Vice President of People Operations will ensure that we develop, support and retain our staff in an inclusive environment where all staff can thrive as we work to save LGBTQ young lives.
Who you are:
- Experienced people leader. You bring experience across HR/HR Operations/People Operations including: compensation & benefits, training & development, employee relations, employee satisfaction, organization design & development, DEI, and labor laws/legal compliance. This will include significant people management experience.
- Big picture thinker. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You love to brainstorm and come up with big bold ideas. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved.
- Expert in Scaling. You have a track record of successfully leading and scaling People Operations teams and organizations in high growth environments. You love working at a strategic level, but are also happy to roll up your sleeves in addressing tactical and operational matters when needed, especially during periods of growth.
- Flexible. You are comfortable operating in a work environment with rapid change. You are accustomed to pivoting when organizational needs or priorities change, and you can take on unanticipated new initiatives with ease. You’re skilled in leading amid uncertainty and without perfect information, and you maintain composure and remain positive under pressure.
- Perpetual Learner. You are energized by learning about new topics and can quickly get up to speed and disseminate information to others in a logical and digestible manner.
- Driven by Data. You are an analytical and metrics-driven leader who is comfortable leveraging data to inform programmatic decisions and assess effectiveness.
- Culturally Competent. You understand the nuances of diversity, equity, and inclusion work, and have leveraged these nuances to develop inclusive programs or policies in past roles. You are willing to learn more about marginalized identities and bring your awareness to all the work you do.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork. This includes working with people at all levels of the organization and managing stakeholder expectations.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You understand the importance of contributing to a mission like Trevor’s as a member of the People Ops team.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and oversee the execution of the People Operations department’s long-term strategy to create and maintain a best-in-class employee experience in a diverse and inclusive culture where all staff can thrive
- Ensure our successful transformation to a remote-first work culture with employees in 35 states, and growing
- Lead, coach, and inspire a high-performing, growing team of People Operations leaders
- Own the development of a new People Partners sub-department, including hiring, onboarding, and guiding People Partner leadership and staff
- Manage annual plans, OKRs, workforce planning, and budgets for the People Operations department
- Partner with executives, senior leaders, and functional leaders on current and emerging People Operations needs and priorities
- In partnership with the Legal team, ensure that People Operations functions operate in compliance with all national, state, and local laws, policies, and best practices
- Serve as the primary lead on the people and culture strategy for planned international expansion
- Champion and serve as a culture carrier for The Trevor Project’s values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- In collaboration with the Chief People Officer, serve as a strategic partner and advisor in matters related to our employees and culture, our growth strategy and exploration of international and/or language expansion, and other evolving needs of our organization
- Generous vacation, holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer.
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery.
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide technology tools, a monthly internet stipend and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!).
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team.
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer.
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
saving young lgbtq lives